Friday, April 17, 2009

Inchie Friday ~ Fast Scrap!


Today my post is all about GETTING IT DONE! As you know, I love scrapbooking! However, it can be time consuming & sometimes you just need to take some shortcuts.

I'll get to some of those tips as my post goes on ~ but first, here is my fun little Inchie Arts page for today. This great picture is from our New England cruise last summer. I just love the vibrant purples and greens in this photo ~ not to mention my little guy (Matt) and my brother-in-law.


Here are the details: For the main flower image, I used the Itty Bitty Lavender image from Lockhart Stamp Company. I stamped it on the white Inchie square in black Palette ink. Then I used my Copic markers to color it & finally added just a touch of Pearl Ex pigment powder to make is shimmer. I used two additional Inchie squares to add the names of the people in the photo and the date it was taken. For the background, I colored each one the same using a lighter shade of purple so they would all tie in together. Then for the title, I simply fed my cardstock through my printer so I could play with the font and size. This was a simple and fast page.

Now the page size for this is actually 6" x 8 1/4" ~ odd sizing I know. But here is where the shortcut comes in...

This small scrapbook page is actually part of a larger page protector with photos you slide inside pockets. I know this is a pretty popular way to scrapbook these days, but I have to laugh and tell you that I've been scrapbooking this way for about 4 or 5 years now. Not all the time, but I tend to use this technique for theme albums (like trips) or when I'm so far behind that I feel like I'll never catch up.


How do you do this?
  1. Print & Sort - When I put together an album like this, first I print and sort my pictures. This album is for a trip & I want it scrapbooked chronologically. Therefore, I sort my pictures by day and events within that day.

  2. Page Protectors - Sometimes the biggest challenge is finding the right pictures (in the right orientation) for each pocket ~ so order a variety before you begin. Find the page protector that fit the photos you have for that day's events. Some photos may need to be trimmed to fit a different direction, reprinted, or left out if you don't have the right pocket for it. I usually find a way to make it work.

    NOTE: These types of page protectors come with different sized pockets so you can add larger photos, documents, maps, etc. I bought the page protectors for this album a few years ago & they are from Scrapworks. Unfortunately, this company went out of business. However, there are some from Bazzill (Lickity Split) and We R Memory Keepers Photo Sleeves. I just ordered some of the We R Memory Keepers ones & they are due in May ~ I'll keep you posted if I like them.

  3. Full Layouts - I use in a 3-ring binder binder so I can add full 12x12 layouts to my album as well. This album is a Stampin' Up! Linen Album & the page protectors work beautifully inside. Generally, the holes for 3-ring binders are standard so you can mix and match protectors.

  4. Leave Blank Spots - But don't forget to leave some pockets open so you can add titles and journaling. That's where you can add all the fun little doo-dads from your scrapbook supplies. HOWEVER, don't make them too bulky!

    In my trip albums, this is where I like to add information about what we did that day, titles of where we were (as I did here), or information about the port of call we visited. I do most of my journaling on the computer and then stamp backgrounds, use pattern paper or cardstock to add color. It's using your creativity in a smaller way, but including tons more photos in your book!


  5. Another Benefit - When you get back from a trip, I like to look (and share) my photos right away. What's great about this album, is that you & your family can still enjoy your photos before they are 'scrapped' because they are all laid out and protected from nasty little fingerprints.
  6. You can do it! - Even if you don't scrapbook, you can do this! It's a fast, easy way to get those precious memories down on paper. Your photos are important ~ so document the details. You don't have to add all the pretty little doo-dads, but you really need to record the family history. Future generations will appreciate it!

    NOW GO SCRAP SOMETHING!!!

    Supplies Used: Inchie Squares ~ Inchie Arts; Cardstock ~ Stampin' Up!; Ink ~ Palette, Copics; Stamps ~ Lockhart Stamp Co, Hero Arts; Font ~ from Photoshop Elements.

3 comments:

Bevie Pearl said...

Kendra, Good ideas on the scraping. :)

joslyn said...

love this. great ideas!!!

MaGoooo said...

Kendra THANK YOU for sharing your GREAT advice!! Now I'm ready to really get going!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs