Thursday, March 22, 2012

THE ALASKA PROJECT ... Scrapbooking Memorabilia

Welcome to Wednesday...  It's been several weeks since I've shared any pages from my Alaska Project, so I thought I'd sneak in a few pages today.  As I stated early on, I love collecting maps, brochures, postcards and other memorabilia on our trips.  It's a great way to learn facts about the places we've gone and it stirs up memories after we've arrived home and are looking through our travel albums.  I've shared some of the pocket pages I've done, but this time I have some full sized layouts to share.

The first layout I have features some pretty cool facts about the great State of Alaska.  When we were reading over this sheet, I immediately thought it would be fun to include in our album so I tucked it away in my travel folder that I take on trips.  When I pulled it out to scrapbook, it was printed 2-sided on blue paper and wouldn't match the theme of my album at all.  So.... I scanned both sides of the paper, resized the images, pulled the scans into a Photoshop document and then printed it on a piece of cream cardstock that would match my album.  I also stamped the map background (from Unity Stamps) around the edges to tie it into the rest of the page & then added stickers from the Simple Stories Destination kit.  I love how it turned out.




My next page included our visit to the The Alaska Zoo.  I forgot to keep a map while we were at the zoo, so when I was doing this page, I decided to go to the zoo website and find one.  They had this nice colored map online.  It wasn't really a great color with the orange background, so I tamed that down a bit in Photoshop ~ I would have liked to change the color altogether, but that would have been pretty time consuming, so I decided against it.  Once the image was sized to proper measurements I wanted, I printed it off on cream cardstock. 

For the rest of the page, I stamped the background with the map stamp from Unity Stamps with the same kraft tone ink on the kraft paper and then I stamped some travel words tone on tone as well.  I added some great animal photos we took that day, typed up a journaling box to personalize the trip & stamped the word border around the map in black using some travel stamps from the Technique Tuesday travel set by Ali Edwards.



My last page for today shows the documents from our tour itinerary along with photos of our tour guide and driver for the tour.  This document was given to us the first day of our tour in a booklet, so I just trimmed it up and matted the pages on cardstock to add to the page.  If you collect pages that are too larger, it's rather easy to scan them in and then print them smaller like I did on my first page today. 

As for the rest of this layout, I once again used my Unity Stamps map background over the entire page tone on tone ~ it's just a great way to add texture without bulk and if you carry that throughout your album, it will tie everything together perfectly.  All of the stickers, pattern paper and journaling cards are from the Simple Stories Destination kit ~ which as you might be able to tell, I LOVE!!!   The other small alphabet stamps I used on all of my pages are from Hero Arts ~ these are a MUST HAVE for me on my scrapbook pages.




I haven't had much time to do many pages over the last few weeks, so I'm looking forward to getting back into my books this week.   I think what I love about this project is not only is it scrapbooking (which I adore), but it's also just for me because I want to do it.   Well I hope you enjoyed my pages today & learned a few ideas for documenting memorabilia in your albums ~ I'd love to hear what you think so far...

See you soon!

1 comment:

Angela said...

love, love, love it, Kendra!!

I have lots of itineraries, maps, etc. that I want to incorporate into our albums. Thanks for the ideas on changing colors and printing on different color cardstock. After reading this, I am excited to get back at scrapbooking our memories.

I hope you have an awesome day!
Angela <3

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs