Monday, January 10, 2011

Your Fortune is .... FULL OF LOVE!

Just gonna say it right off the bat... I LOVE THIS PROJECT!!!!  This project was so easy and such a blast to make too!  The inspiration for my little take out box was, of course, the fortune cookie stamp in the 2011 Winter Mix ~ Lucky in Love set by Lizzie Anne Designs.   The the fabric fortune cookies are such FUN and oh SEW easy!!!!  It seriously took me longer to thread my sewing machine than it took me to make them.  But more on those in a bit.


I colored the cookie with my Copic Markers (E30, E31, E33, R83, R29) and then added some Rockstar Red Sparkly fluff to the heart on the tag.  I used my Big Scallop Nestabilities to cut out the red felt for the tag & attached it to the Chinese take out box with red twine.  For the little fortunes, I simply stamped sentiments from Lucky in Love and last year's Valentine mix, From the Heart on kraft paper and cut them out.


Now for those fun little fabric fortune cookies ~ they couldn't be easier!  I adapted my directions from THIS website.

Supplies Needed for one fabric fortune cookie:
1 - 5" square of red stiff felt (I used the stiffer felt because that's what I had on hand ~ regular felt would work as well)
1 - 5" Valentine fabric
4 1/2" scallop circle die cut (Sizzix) or you can trim the edge with decorative scissors
Sewing machine & coordinating thread

Step 1: Using the scallop circle die cut, cut out 1 felt circle and 1 fabric circle for each cookie.  I cut both piece at the same time & it worked well.


Step 2: Line up the two pieces with the fabric right side up and sew around the edge with a coordinating thread color.  Make sure you reinforce the beginning and end.


Step 3:  Fold the circle in half , with the felt side up.  Stitch about an inch in the middle ~ do not stitch all the way to either edge & make sure you backstitch several times so it is secure.


Step 4: Fold each edge of the cookie out from the middle seam.

Step 5: Tuck a little fortune inside from your stamped images and VOILA ~ You have your 5-minute fabric fortune cookies!  Aren't they PERFECT?!?!?!?

I must have a thing for fortune cookies because I made a project with them a few years ago too for Valentines day ~ here's a photo I took of my pretty little chocolate covered cookies & HERE is the link to the whole blog post.


I'd love to hear about your favorite Valentine projects too, so either leave a comment or, if you have a link leave that too so I can check them out!     

12 comments:

AShu93 said...

These are really adorable! I like the chocolate covered ones too.

I don't have a favorite valentine treat to share with you, but I remember baking fortune cookies for the Girl Scout bake-off when I was young & the homemade kind tasted so much better. I don't know where the recipe is anymore, so I was hoping that's what you were showing. But "Kendra's Semi-Handmade" look much simpler :)

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

this is so cool! We love Chinese food here and I even have a box of Fortune Cookies in the cupboard left over from the other nite when I made a Chinese supper.

Love your fabric Fortune cookies!

MichelleY said...

OMW....this project is just too darn cute....and the tutorial is fabulous!!!!

Tracy B. said...

I love your fortune cookies! They look so delicious. A dear friend made some similar to yours as ornaments this year. Thanks for the directions.

Anonymous said...

Love the fabric fortune cookies!!! Thanks for the directions to go with the samples!!

Anonymous said...

These are awesome Kendra!!! Love the tutorial and thanks for the links to the other projects - yummy and wonderful!!!!

Susan said...

Consuecius say this very clever project and instructions graciously provided and very well written.

Jennifer said...

Wow, I'm totally going to try this. Thank you for the inspiration. Too cute!

Pam Hornschu said...

Oh, wow, Kendra! This project is amazing. I "sew" want to go buy fabric and make these! How did you color the fortune cookie image on the box? It has a hand-drawn and colored look that I love.

Rose Ann said...

Oh gosh...I just love everything here, Kendra!! Your fortune cookies are genius!!

Deb said...

So fun, Kendra! Love this project!

scrappychica said...

I found your blog via another crafter that linked you from the the felt valentine fortune cookies. I LOVE them they are so sweet! thank you so much for sharing the tutorial!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs