Saturday, December 1, 2007

Holiday Goodies ...

I have had this little recipe box in my stash for so long and finally figured out what I wanted to do with it. I used my Holiday Cheer set from Lizzie Anne Designs to dress it up & now I have a place for all those seasonal recipes we make each year.

One of the recipes I remember the most growing up was Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. My mother would spend hours grating carrots & chopping nuts by hand and then mixing up the cake from scratch. It's a whole lot easier to make this cake now with Mix Masters and food processors ~ that's for sure!!! We used to make small loaves of cake and give them to all our neighbors as a Christmas treat. Those are some wonderful Christmas memories of growing up ~ holidays were special to my mother & she loved to go all out. She's been gone for 3 years today & I'm so glad I have this special memory of her. I've made these cakes on and off since I've been married, but plan on doing it once again this year so I can share them with our friends and neighbors.

I think one of my favorite things about the Christmas season are the traditions we carry on with our children. We've pulled some from our families & we have started some new ones of your own.

Carrot Cake
2 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. cooking oil
2 c. flour
2 t. baking soda
2 t. baking powder
2 t. cinnamon
3 c. grated carrots
1 c. chopped pecans
4 eggs
dash of salt

Sift flour once, add soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Sift again & set aside. Mix sugar & oil. Beat 1 minute. Add 1 egg at a time, beating after each. Add carrots, mix well. Add dry ingredients gradually. Add pecans, beat 3 minutes. Pour into 3 (9 in) layer pans. Bake 20 minutes at 350. May also be baked in a 9"x13" pan for 45 min. Spread with Cream Cheese Frosting when cool. Serves 12-15 people.

Cream Cheese Frosting

Beat together:
1 ~ 8 oz. pkg cream cheese
1 ~ 3 oz. pkg cream cheese
6 c. powdered sugar
1 stick margarine
2 t. vanilla

Can you say YUMMY!!!! This is by far the best Carrot Cake I have ever had!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's special memories and traditions like this that keep our loved ones with us. Thanks for sharing this memory and yummy recipe with us!

2 Worlds said...

This is great project

CreativeMish said...

MMM The carrot cake recipe sounds fabulous!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs