Wednesday, May 2, 2007

{Simply Mom}

Supplies: Cardstock ~ Bazzill; Pattern Paper ~ Chatterbox;
Acrylic Flowers ~ Heidi Swapp;
Paint & Acrylic Frame ~ Making Memories;
Ribbon ~ Michael's; Buttons ~ Stampin' Up!;
Title ~ Cricut {Base Camp & George Cartridges}
~~~~~
Well it's true... I am simply their Mom. I don't say that in a way that would make light of the importance of motherhood. I say it in the amazing way my children have looked at me over the past 18 months of our lives. After last year's Mother's Day, I decided to make a special page about how I felt that day. Here is my journaling ...
~~~~~
When I was diagnosed with breast cancer in December 2005, I knew I would go through several physical changes and I worried that Megan and Matthew would look at me funny or not even recognize me when I lost my hair. In January after my second treatment of chemotherapy, my hair started coming out by the handfuls so I asked the kids to cut it off for me. I told them this would be their one and only chance to cut my hair. They jumped on the chance and actually made a sad situation something light and laughable. In the past 5 months, they have never once looked at me like I was from another planet and most days it is not even mentioned that I’ve been in treatment. When they look at me, I still see a sparkle in those gorgeous eyes. This Mother’s Day was very special because it helped me realize what a special bond I have with my kids & how much I’m looking forward to seeing them grow up.
They are simply amazing & I am . . . Simply Mom.
~~~~~
As another Mother's Day approaches, I reflect on how much has happened since last year at this same time. Chemotherapy and radiation are now finished, my port has been removed and I have about 3 inches of hair {yes, I measured it}. I hope that years down the road I can read these words and remember all the love I felt that day from my children. Because there are some days, {like today}, when they are driving me totally crazy & I really need to remember those moments.

8 comments:

Carol (HB) said...

Kendra, that is the most heartwarming story! The page is so beautiful, and you are the most AMAZING woman I have ever met!

Unknown said...

Kendra - another great page! While I would not go so far as to say I know what you went thru, after reading what your wrote, I feel like I definitely understand more then I would have otherwise. I so admire how well you get your thoughts and feelings written down.

Cindy Lyles said...

You are a treasure Kendra ~ beautiful page from a beautiful lady {{{Kendra}}}.

Beth said...

Kendra- I am so proud to know you!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

Kendra what a beautiful story. You need to have a tissue alert at the beginning though Ü

Anonymous said...

great idea for a page. so often we leave ourselves out as we concentrate on the rest of our family. your words brought tears to my eyes. i am so blessed to get the opportunity to know you better.

Memories of Time said...

I love you Kendra!! LOVE you!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful and heartwarming layout!
My breast cancer ordeal was in 2004 (diagnosed exactly three years ago this week, in fact!). I wouldn't wish this experience on anyone, but also wouldn't trade the things it taught me and the evidence of the power of God in my life either!
You are so inspirational - in your posts and your beautiful creations you share. Thanks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs