Monday, October 1, 2007

Yes, It's October...



I'm sure many of you know that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I know that I am one of the many who have been directly impacted by this type of cancer. I was diagnosed just a few weeks before my 40th birthday. There are no words to describe being told you have cancer. I have been very fortunate that my cancer was found early and at this point, almost 2 years later, it is gone. I pray it's gone for good, but only time will tell.

I have to tell you that October is a difficult month for me. Seeing pink ribbons all over the place is a constant reminder of my internal battle. I know a lot of good comes out of these pink ribbons, but as a survivor, it's has a little different spin.

Now I need to urge all of you ladies to do the following:
  1. Keep up with your yearly doctor's appointment;
  2. get a yearly mammogram (remember I wasn't even 40 when I was diagnosed!);
  3. do your monthly self-exams (that's how I found mine) ~ look for changes not just lumps and bumps; and
  4. if you notice ANYTHING, go get it checked out (don't just think it's going to go away ~ the sooner something is caught, the better!).

You can support Breast Cancer Awareness Month with your own badge or banner. Visit the Pink For October site & choose your favorite.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kendra, you are one of my heroes .... honestly. I bought my first Breast Cancer Awareness T-shirt last year because I knew how hard YOU had battled, and how great a toll this diagnosis takes on a woman, her family, and her friends. It's a good thing that we pause to reflect on this continuing battle for the health and well-being of women around this world. And part of my pause is for YOU. (((hugs))) Tex

Heather McNally and Melissa MacDonald said...

I absolutely adore you Kendra - and know how hard you fought to kick breast cancer's butt!! Please know I TOTALLY support you - and every woman who has to deal with this!!!!

Anonymous said...

Kendra ~

I'm tickled PINK you are now cancer free and you are a true inspiration for all that have fought or will fight this disease!

Debbi T said...

I just admire the heck out of you. I know how hard this was on you, how hard you fought......and how you totally kicked heinie! :) I could not be more proud of you, or happier.....that you are here, so I can proudly stand and say "She is MY FRIEND".

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs