Tuesday, August 17, 2010

IHP Challenge Day ~ Let's Get Organized!

Each month we have a special design team challenge for the i{heart}papers team & this month it was all about getting organized. I love organizing things and had several ideas of what I wanted to do; however, I couldn't find exactly what I wanted to work with ~ so I made it up as I went along!

I had this file box that I bought at Target at least 2 years ago (sorry girls, I haven't seen them around for awhile). It was a pretty bright turquoise color, so I toned down the bright color by sponging some Antique Linen Distressed ink on the edges and then on the actual fabric ~ it really did a nice job of aging it up a bit.


Now I don't usually get nervous about stamping on things because I know that I can usually start over or cover it up; however, that wasn't an option on this project, so I was a bit apprehensive about stamping on the box. Well sure enough, the first flower I stamped on the bottom corner, didn't turn out ~ UGH! NOW WHAT??? Well I stamped the flower again on pattern paper, punched out the center and decided to cover up the part that didn't turn out & then added a botton. CUTE STUFF! By the last flower, I had it figured out ~ I needed to put my hand inside the box so the box would stay flat. Hmmm...wish I had thought of that for the first flower ~ LOL!

I looked everywhere for some Kraft file folders to put inside, but didn't have any luck with that ~ I'm sure I'll find some later this week when I'm out and about. So I decided to make dividers with tabs. I used some great paper by October Afternoon called Fly a Kite & Thrift Shop.


For the flower stamps on the box and the matching dividers, I used a several different Unity Stamp sets ~ the June Store Kit (Quiet Essence) and Best Wishes and Blooms.

I haven't added titles to the dividers just yet because I'm not sure exactly what I want them to say. However, when I do, I'll just use one of my alphabet sets to add them.


I decided not to color in the flowers on the dividers because I really liked the look of them simply stamped in brown on the Kraft paper. I did add a bit of ribbon to the finish off the edge and added a nice quote on each divider.


Now you'll want to go see what the other girls have come up with for this fun challenge ~ here's the blog list so you can see all the fun stuff!

Carolyn

Cathleen

Deb

Gretchen

Kendra

Loretta

Lori

Lynn

Megan

Tracy

Kate

Supplies from i{heart}papers: Stamps ~ Unity Stamp Co (Quiet Essence, May Store Kit, Best Wishes & Blooms); Pattern Paper ~ October Afternoon called Fly a Kite & Thrift Shop; Ink ~ Palette (Burnt Umber); Copic Markers (E25, E47, Y17, BG02, BG45, BG15, YG13); Ribbon ~ May Arts; Natural Twine; Nestabilities.

13 comments:

Deb said...

This is amazing, Kendra! I love everything about it, including your carefree adaptable attitude!

I honestly think you can't get any more organized than you already are! You are my role model! *grin* and *sigh*...I have a long way to go!

i {heart} papers said...

Love that turquoise. I have a few matching notepads that I've been hoarding from Target also. :) Such a great project!

Lynn Mercurio said...

Wow...fantastically done - and so functional in addition to being beautiful to look at! Awesome job.

Gretchen said...

Wow! This is just gorgeous and I love how you told us about your little boo boo and how you fixed it! I always feel like things need to be just perfect and get really frustrated when it doesn't turn out how I want it to! Thanks for the "real" post- I love how your project turned out!

LorettaL said...

Kendra, this folder is so sweet!!! What a wonderful project!

Megan said...

This is so cute! I love the stamped details on the folders. You did an awesome job!

Cathleen said...

This is awesome Kendra, I love your flower details and pretty colors...you are so creative!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

great project Kendra. This is a fun way to get organized.

Carolyn Mustopa said...

This is just adorable! I had to giggle when I saw that you used "stuff" on yours too.

Lori said...

Love how this turned out, Kendra! The folders you created for inside are fabulous. Let us know what you end up using it for.

whoistracy said...

Adorable!! I could use a new file box, wish they sold these at Target now. LOL

Regina said...

Such a CUTE little piece of organization you have decorated for yourself. Love the idea, and love that you shared part of your process with us - so often want to stamp on "things", but get nervous about "no turning back". ;)

Wendy (aka Roo) said...

You are so clever & talented Kendra. This is a great idea!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs