Friday, February 13, 2015

Fun Background Technique with Gina K & Spectrum Noir

Good Morning Peeps!

I'm not sure I've ever had a week with FOUR tutorials on my blog, but here goes another one that I made for Gina K Designs and Spectrum Noir.  I'm super excited about this background paper I made!   Here's a peek of one project I made with the paper.  YUM!!!  Continue along and see how I made it...


Step 1: Select several Spectrum Noir Ink Refills.  I used BP2, OR2, CR10 and CR6 (orange, pink and coral).  You will also need Blender solution.  You may need to play around with the colors you use to get things that blend well together.  It is very easy to make a big puddle of brown ink, so there may be some trial and error.



Step 2: Gather your other supplies ~ a full sheet of GLOSSY cardstock AND another half sheet of GLOSSY cardstock.   You will also need 2 sponge applicators. TIP: I like using sponges with very small gaps or holes so they don't leave big marks on my artwork.

Step 3: The half-sheet of Glossy Cardstock is going to be used as an ink palette or "scratch" paper.  Make sure you use Glossy Cardstock because the ink sits on top of the paper longer.   You could also use an actual art palette or some other slick surface for this along with the Spectrum Noir Markers if you don't have the ink refills.  NOTE: if you use the markers, make sure you use a slick surface rather than Glossy cardstock so you don't use up all of the ink in your marker.  Also, if you use markers, the colors won't be as vibrant.

Using the Ink Refill droppers, add a few drops of each color to the half-sheet of Glossy cardstock.  TIP: I usually drop them in different spots and then let them run together on their own.



Step 4:  Using a sponge applicator, apply a small amount of blender solution to the sponge and then in a circular motion, mix the colors on your palette.

Step 5: Working somewhat quickly, using a circular motion, apply the ink to the full sheet of Glossy cardstock.  If it appears too dark or too bright, add some blender solution to your sponge applicator and go over it again.  



Step 6: Keep adding drops of ink refill to the palette and blender solution to the sponge applicator an continue until the full sheet of Glossy Cardstock is covered.

Step 7: Set aside to dry and then trim as desired to make your projects!



Project #1: Bokeh Technique


I have seen this technique made several different ways with dye and watercolor inks, so I decided to give it a go with background paper I made above with the Spectrum Noir Ink Refills.  The sentiment on my card is from the Flower Builders stamp set.


Step 1: While the background paper is drying, this is a good time to make a template.  Take out a piece of white cardstock and various sizes of circle dies.  Place the circle dies randomly on the cardstock and trim.  Just place them however you like... no rules.



Step 2:  Gather some white pigment ink (Wedding Dress White Memento Luxe ink); a sponge applicator; the circle template; background paper. 

Step 3: Dab the white ink and then rub it in with a circular motion, to apply white ink to the background paper.


Step 4: Continue to apply the white ink as desired & don't forget to overlap some of the circles as well.  Easy Peasy!




Project #2: White Embossed Flower Embellishments

Here is the second project I made with the background paper ~ I just stamped a flower from the Flower Builders stamp set with white pigment ink and embossed the flower with white embossing powder.  



I trimmed the flowers with scissors and then added a gem to the center.  I popped it up on my card and added some leaves from the Birthday Essentials Stamp TV Kit along with the sentiment.


Project #3: Background Paper

For my final project, I just used it as background paper and added the stamped image from the Birthday Essentials Stamp TV Kit on top.

Super fun and easy ways to use homemade background papers.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs