Saturday, June 2, 2007

It's Summer time! Do you need a fun activity to do?

We are leaving in a few hours for our vacation. I'm all ready so I'm killing time on the computer until we leave and thought I would post this fun summer activity. Since the hot weather is here in Indiana, it made me think of something we did a few years ago when our family came down for a visit. We made homemade ice cream in a Zip-Lock bag and both the kids & the adults LOVED it! Here's the recipe if you want to give it a shot.


Homemade Ice Cream
(one serving)

1/2 c. Half-n-Half
1 T. Sugar
1/4 t. vanilla
1/2 c. rock salt
1 quart size Zip Lock bag
1 gallon size freezer Zip Lock bag

Note: Use regular Zip-Lock bags, not the bags with sliding locks (TRUST ME THEY DON'T WORK).

Put Half-n-Half, vanilla and sugar into a quart size bag. Get as much air out as possible & seal well! Fill the gallon sized freezer bag with 3 or 4 cups of ice and add the rock salt. Put the smaller bag into the larger bag, get as much air out as possible and seal well. Wrap a towel around the bag or have the kids put gloves on & then shake and mix until the ice cream thickens (about 10 minutes). Top with sprinkles, candy, nuts or fruit & ENJOY!
I'll see you all in 2 weeks when I return from Alaska! If I have access to a computer, I'll post an update here about our trip.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think that same recipe works for the can inside a larger can ice cream making. Only with the cans, the kids can roll them around for the mixing/freezing time. Just make sure the lid on the inner can is sealed well. I'm talking duct tape.

Have a great trip!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs